Remembering Tomie dePaola

Wednesday, April 1, 2020


A note from Marlene, Wallington's youth services library lady


For Story Time Tuesdays this week, I wanted to highlight one of my favorite kid-lit authors: Tomie dePaola.

I very fondly remember reading Tomie dePaola's books when I was a kid! I loved both their folksy storytelling and their interesting, unique art style. He wrote often of his own life and childhood, of Irish and Italian folktales, and of becoming an artist -- all of which intrigued me, and which I hope continue to intrigue young readers today. Now that I work in a library, I'm always happy to find patrons still searching for (or accidentally discovering!) his many works, often drawn to them for the same reasons I was. Sadly, Tomie dePaola passed away this week at the age of eighty-five, but he's leaving behind a large body of work I hope will be read and enjoyed for generations to come.

Some of My Favorites

Strega Nona's Magic Lessons (1982): The "Grandma Witch" of Calabria, Strega Nona, has starred in a whole, wonderful series of dePaola's books, but this one is my favorite! Silly ol' Big Anthony dons a disguise in order to take magic lessons with Strega Nona, but his mistakes have very silly, pasta-infused consequences. 

The Art Lesson (1989): My most highly recommended of dePaola's books, The Art Lesson tells Tomie's own story of learning about art in school. It celebrates children's love for drawing, their misconceptions about becoming "real artists," and how to foster creativity as one grows up. I love that it's a brilliantly encouraging story from a professional artist, encouraging kids to keep up the good work. 

Tom (1993): dePaola often writes with love about his Irish and Italian grandparents and the huge impact they had on his life. In Tom, he focuses on his Irish namesake, a grandfather with whom he shared many "silly jokes and special moments." It's a heartwarming story with hi-jinks, lessons, and affection within a lovely, caring family. 

Jamie O'Rourke & the Big Potato (1992): One of my favorite folktales about the lazy farmer Jamie O'Rourke, this one features a mischievous leprechaun and the uncertain blessing of a giant potato! dePaola has added a fun twist to many, many Irish stories and tales, all of which are worth a read and definitely a top choice of mine for story time.

What do you think?

Tomie dePaola's books always tell a wonderful story, and his artwork should also be praised. According to his website, he worked from an old barn in New Hampshire, writing, painting, drawing works for kids, bringing to life original stories, folk tales, Bible stories, and autobiographical anecdotes for young readers for many years. Check out his extensive list of over 270 books and illustrations here.

Have you read any of Tomie dePaola's books and have you introduced them to your young readers at home? We hope that you'll check a few out, and let us know what you think! 

No comments:

Post a Comment